Friday, January 15, 2010

BMW Plans on Making another V8 M5, I Still Pine for the E39

As per all the reports, BMW is ditching that monster V10 architecture that makes the current M5 go extremely fast and replacing it with the new V8 from the X5 M that should also make it go…extremely fast.

For me though, I’m still hung up on the E39 based M5. For those of you who don’t know what the E39 is, it was the 5-series before the radical Bangle Redesign (1998-2003). It still tops the list as my favorite BMW and it’s up there on greatest car ever list of mine. I’ll let you in on a secret, 400hp + manual 6 speed + intuitive non-invasive controls + full luxury = greatest combination for a car ever. While 400hp is plenty of grunt, adding the Dinan S2 package gives you anywhere from 450-700hp and beats most of those ridiculous current-gen M5s on the streets. I’ve driven a Dinan Tuned M5 pulling about 500hp and I got rubber in both first and second!

Seriously though, I love the way it looks. I love the way it drives, and I love the “sleeper” factor. To the untrained eye, it looks like a pretty bog-standard 5 series. But when you open it up they sit there stunned. The only tell-tale signs are the understated body styling and the little M5 badge on the trunklid. On ebay now a days you can get one with 50-100k miles between about $15-35k, something in the low 20s just seems like a steal especially with a clean carfax report. I’d recommend it to anyone looking for a strong automobile that’ll last for ages and hold it’s looks well into the new decade.

Don’t you worry internet, I will own one of these in due time…

[Via http://slapchopp.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment